Seton Hall confirms transfer of Taurean Thompson

As a freshman last season, Thompson averaged 9.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in 18 minutes per game. He shot .546 from the field and .645 from the free-throw line.

UPDATED: Sept. 7, 2017 at 1:15 a.m.

Former Syracuse forward Taurean Thompson has transferred to Seton Hall, SHU Athletics confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

Jerry Carino of the Asbury Park Press reported that Thompson had transferred to SHU, one of SU’s former Big East foes, last Thursday.

Per NCAA transfer regulations, Thompson will sit out the 2017-18 season as this season and will then have three years of eligibility remaining, beginning in 2018-19.

“Taurean is a terrific addition for the Seton Hall men’s basketball program,” SHU head coach Kevin Willard said in a statement. “He is long and athletic with good post skills and the ability to step out and shoot. We will work with him during his sit-out year to further his development both on the court and in the classroom and expect him to be ready to compete for Seton Hall next season.”

Last week, Syracuse.com broke the news that Thompson left the Syracuse program.

“We have been informed that Taurean is taking a leave of absence from Syracuse University,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said in a statement to Syracuse.com. “My understanding is he wants to go to school closer to home due to some family health issues.”

Thompson is a 6-foot-9 forward who nearly committed to SHU out of high school, per Carino, but chose Syracuse instead. As a freshman there he averaged 9.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in 18 minutes per game. He shot .546 from the field and .645 from the free-throw line.

The top 100 recruit played his junior year of high school at St. Anthony (New Jersey) High School, less than 20 miles from Seton Hall’s campus. In high school, he was a consensus Top 100 recruit who played his junior year at St. Anthony, averaging 10.7 points per game and finished up at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.

At the forward position, SU has only Paschal Chukwu, the 7-foot-2 Providence transfer who missed most of last season after eye surgery, and Bourama Sidibe, an incoming 6-foot-10 freshman.

The story has been updated for appropriate style.