Swashbuckling adventure ‘The Three Musketeers’ to open Syracuse Stage’s 2017-18 season

Courtesy of Michael Davis

"Mary Poppins" was part of Syracuse Stage's 2016-17 season. "The Three Musketeers" kicks off this year's season.

Swashbuckling swordsmen, kings, queens and lots of adventure. “The Three Musketeers” promises that and more as it gets set to kick off Syracuse Stage’s 2017-18 season on Wednesday.

The story of “The Three Musketeers” has been a part of pop culture since the book’s original publication in the 1800s, and has spawned multiple television shows, films and stage productions. Set in 17th century France, the story follows main character d’Artagnan as he tries to join the elite Musketeer guard and befriends three formidable corps members along the way.

“I think this show is going to be great fun for us to open our season,” said Jill Anderson, managing director for Syracuse Stage, of the show. “It’s a big rolling, sprawling adventure story.”

The universality of “The Three Musketeers” provided both challenges and exciting opportunities for Syracuse Stage. Artistic director Bob Hupp said he had to take both into account when considering the show. On one hand, Hupp was attracted to the fact that “the play is a story that has been told for 400 years, and it still remains relevant and timely and fun.”

On the other hand, Hupp said there was a tricky line to walk between honoring the story and keeping things fresh for Syracuse Stage’s production.

Excited to bring his interpretation to life, Hupp will also make his directorial debut at the Syracuse Stage. While he has directed shows elsewhere, this is his first production in Syracuse.

“Bringing in outside guest artists with our top-notch resident team has worked very well,” he said in regard to his experience and connections in Syracuse and beyond.

The show, which runs through Oct. 8, will also feature an original score written specifically for Syracuse Stage’s production — a feature that Hupp said he thinks will differentiate the show from past productions.

Hupp isn’t the only newcomer to the Syracuse Stage this season. Courtney Green, a senior drama major, will play Queen Anne in “The Three Musketeers” in her first production at the Stage. Green said she is elated to have the opportunity to work with the 10 professional equity actors and seven other SU Drama performers involved with the show.

“Working with him was a little intimidating at first,” Green said of Hupp. “Now I feel like we have a nice rapport with him, and I appreciate that a lot. He treats us all like professionals. He doesn’t baby us; he respects us.”

Those involved with the show are excited to see how the community reacts to “The Three Musketeers.” As a show with “broad appeal,” Anderson said she hopes the show will attract anyone from school groups to families with children.

Anderson also discussed the Stage’s pride in taking strides toward being as inclusive as possible. Hearing-impaired guests can look forward to newly redone listening devices and open-captioned performances of the show.

The theater’s most significant new initiative this year is a “pay-what-you-will” plan. Under the initiative, 76 tickets to “The Three Musketeers” and other plays will be put aside for guests who love theater but may be unable to afford full-price tickets.

Anderson said she hopes the new features will remove obstacles that may have otherwise kept community members from seeing the production. Green added that the potential new audience members will not be disappointed.

“This version is a lot more epic and adventurous,” she said. “I think audiences are really going to enjoy it.”