Syracuse offense clicks in 41-17 win over Central Michigan

Wasim Ahmad | Staff Photographer

After a rocky first quarter where Syracuse's only touchdown came on a pick-six, the Orange dominated. The Eric Dungey-led offense scored 31 straight to down Central Michigan on Saturday inside the Carrier Dome.

As Eric Dungey rolled out to his right, Mitch Stanitzek tried to hunt him down. Central Michigan’s senior lineman could not, because Dungey danced to the SU sideline before double-clutching and lofting a 44-yard pass to Sean Riley. On the next play, Dontae Strickland ran it up the middle for a touchdown to give Syracuse a seven-point advantage into the break.

Dungey’s elusiveness served as a message. It offered a reminder of two years ago, when Stanitzek made helmet-to-helmet contact with him. Dungey completed that pass for a touchdown in the 30-27 overtime win. On Saturday afternoon, Dungey also connected, giving SU a lead it did not give up in its 41-17 victory.

“He didn’t play for a great percentage, but there were some plays where he saved us,” SU head coach Dino Babers said.

On the heels of Syracuse’s 30-23 upset loss to Middle Tennessee State and former SU head coach Scott Shafer, a combination of high-octane offense and strong defense on third down provided the formula to SU’s victory. Syracuse (2-1) erased a sloppy first quarter with a stretch of 31 unanswered points to beat Central Michigan (2-1), 41-17, in front of 33,004 fans on a muggy afternoon at the Carrier Dome.

Several days after offensive stagnancy, Syracuse’s offense clicked. The rushing attack totaled 300 yards, Dungey threw for 279 more and the defense held CMU to zero points over the final 37:52 of game time. SU entered the game ranked fifth in the country in third-down defense and held the Chippewas to 3-of-16.

“Some young guys are in their getting some burning in,” said Dungey, who threw for two touchdowns and ran for 105 yards. “Once we dialed it in, we got it to the tempo we wanted it.”

The victory trimmed SU’s magic number for bowl eligibility to four. When the Syracuse schedule was released, it was expected SU would have three winnable games to start the year before an array of inevitable losses. The first comes next week at No. 12 Louisiana State, followed by a trip to North Carolina State the week after. SU is 1-3 against NC State since joining the ACC.

Photo by Wasim Ahmad

Wasim Ahmad | Staff Photographer

Against the Chippewas, Syracuse looked far from in control after 15 minutes. Senior kicker Cole Murphy sent a kickoff out of bounds. Dungey threw an interception, CMU’s FBS-leading ninth pick of the year. Freshman running back Markenzy Pierre coughed up the ball on his second carry of the game. On CMU’s ensuing possession, quarterback Shane Morris connected with Cameron Cole for a 56-yard touchdown to put Central Michigan up, 7-3. Both Juwan Dowels and Evan Foster missed tackles on the play.

All of that was erased from memory with Foster’s first career interception, a pick-sick to even the score at 10 headed into the second frame.

“How big was Evan Foster’s play?” Babers said. “Getting that interception then taking it to the house, I thought that was the biggest play of the game.”

The SU offense gained ground after the rocky first quarter. The advantage started with an unfamiliar source. Down seven, Riley darted for a 64-yard kickoff return. Dungey found Strickland, who misdirected to beat a defensive back and score his first receiving touchdown of the year.

On CMU’s next drive, Christopher Fredrick picked off Morris, setting up Dungey’s long pass to Riley.

“We’re still trying to establish who we are,” senior captain and linebacker Zaire Franklin said, “but man, Sean is lightning fast.”

In the third quarter, sophomore running back Moe Neal supplied offensive firepower, bursting through for a 71-yard run. He entered Saturday with only 14 carries for 35 yards this season, but he scored SU’s third unanswered touchdown to push the lead to 31-17. Neal’s resurgence coincided with the team’s renewal.

Dungey cushioned the lead with a career-long 74-yard run up the Syracuse sideline and somersaulted to the six-yard line. He lofted a pass to Pierce for a score — SUs’ fourth consecutive unanswered touchdown.

Shortly afterward, Pierce, a junior tight end, nodded his head in satisfaction. Satisfied that, at least for now, Syracuse’s offense is clicking.